executive management, education, consulting, international business
Seafood/Fishing Industry Career Highlights:
- Consultant to Umami Sustainable Seafood (2011-present) a USA-based publicly-traded international aquaculture producer of bluefin tuna for the high-end sashimi markets of Japan and Asia, with farms in Croatia and Baja California.
- Consultant to Hubbs-Sea World Research Institute (2012-present) the non-profit research arm of Sea World that is dedicated to establishing commercially viable aquaculture seafood/fisheries operations worldwide.
- CEO of Chicken of the Sea International (1988-1992) 2nd largest US seafood company; led the project to acquire COSI from Ralston Purina.
- CEO/Chairman/Founder of BC Abalone (1992-2004) Mexican aquaculture producer of abalone, based in Baja California.
- Consultant/CEO/CFO of South Pacific Tuna Corp (2005-2009) Start-up $250 million sustainable joint venture western Pacific 12-vessel tuna purse-seining operation made up of Bumble Bee, Chicken of the Sea, Thai Union (Thailand), and FCF Fishery (Taiwan).
- Consultant to Tri-Marine International in several of their acquisitions, including Somex (Peruvian scallop aquaculture farm), Grupo VVV (Mexican sardine fishing/processing operation).
- Owner of JEM, Inc (1981-Present) my own consulting firm incorporated in California in 1981 specializing in seafood industry operations and general financial, business plan, restructuring, and acquisition advice in industries including medical orthopedic devices and giftware.
- VP-Finance/CFO of Sun Harbor Industries (1978-1981) Hired by Bankruptcy Court to operate and orderly dispose of profitable tuna processor subsidiary of bankrupt parent company; Labels included Carnation Tuna and Breast-O-Chicken.
- Owner/Investor of A&M Ventures (manufacturer of deck and refrigeration equipment for tuna purse seiners worldwide), and Tuna Clipper Marine (worldwide marine fuel distributor to the tuna fleets).
- VP-Finance/CFO of Zapata Offshore Resources (1974-1976) Tuna purse seine vessel subsidiary of Zapata Corporation.
Other Career Highlights:
- MBA Program Director, Point Loma Nazarene University (2007-Present) Program has quadrupled in size while academic rigor, entry standards and tuition have been significantly increased.
- Variety of financial positions within Exxon Corporation (USA), Solar Turbines International (division of International Harvester), and the State of Florida Budget Bureau.
- Variety of part-time teaching MBA and undergraduate in-class and online positions at: San Diego State University, University of Richmond (Ft. Lee), Prairie View A&M University, National University, and California Miramar University.
Boards of Directors:
- San Diego Sports Commission (since 1992; Chairman in 1999; Emeritus since 2004).
- Formerly on corporate boards of Chicken of the Sea, BC Abalone, Encore Group, A&M Ventures, Tuna Clipper Marine, and other companies.
- Formerly on many civic boards including San Diego County YMCA, American Lung Association, USA Volleyball, Florida State University Foundation, Yale University Berkley Divinity School.
- Dissertation left to complete for Doctorate in Business Administration-Accounting from Anderson University (Indiana) (2007-Present).
- CPA from State of Texas (1972).
- MBA-Finance from Florida State University (1970).
- BS-Finance & Management from Florida State University (1968) Attended on Track scholarship.
- 1st Lieutenant, US Army Quartermaster Corps (1971-1972)
- Director of Central Accounting & Purchasing Office at Ft. Lee VA.
- Honorable Discharge.
- Born in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Married 41 years, with 3 daughters.
- Completely fluent in English and Spanish.
- Qualified/competed in 1983 Ironman Triathlon World Championships in Hawaii.
- Have run over 20 marathons and cycled over 20 centuries.
- Other hobbies include reading, travel, and attending sporting events.
- Have travelled to, worked in, and/or visited about 80 countries.